If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Creamy cinnamon-scented steel-cut oats topped with stewed plums, blueberries, and toasted almonds. —Riley Wofford
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine the milk, water, oats, and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and the oats have absorbed the liquid. Stir in the brown sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- 3 red plums, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Combine the plums, water, and sugar in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, until the fruit is softened and the liquid has thickened slightly. Stir in the blueberries and vanilla extract.
- Spoon the oatmeal into bowls and top with the stewed fruit and some of their juices. Sprinkle the almonds over the top and serve.