If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cheesy polenta topped with sweet, maple-caramelized red onions. —Riley Wofford
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 1/2 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Bring the water and 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal, then reduce the heat to low. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until the polenta thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, milk, and butter. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until softened. Add the maple syrup and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are tender and lightly caramelized. Transfer the polenta to bowls and top with the maple onions.