Author Notes: Lets face it, we’re busy and we don’t always have time to make dinner. Time to dust off your slow-cooker! This recipe couldn’t be easier and it will set you up for easy soup later on. —Susan E. Levy
Serves: 4 plus leftovers.
whole chicken, 4-5 pounds
tablespoons combined of your favorite dried herbs/spices
- Rinse and dry chicken.
- Roughly chop onion and place in bottom of slow-cooker.
- Combine herbs and spices in a small bowl and gently rub on chicken.
- Place chicken in slow-cooker on top of onions. Set on low for 3-8 hours depending on your appliance.
- Before serving, drain the broth and save for soup.
- Per 3.5 oz serving: 177 calories, 27g protein, 0 carbohydrates, 7g fat (2g sat, 4g mono/poly), 83mg cholesterol, 0g fiber, 70mg sodium
- Seasoned Cook - For a savory bird, add ½ a lemon in the cavity and choose spices such as thyme, sage and basil. For a Latin flare, use chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika and cumin as pictured here.
- Cook Once,Eat Twice - Save leftover chicken and broth for soup.