I could eat biriyani once a week for the rest of my life! This recipe is one of many I make like clockwork. Its an all day affair that calls for patience. The end result is a flavorful, spicy plate of chicken and rice. —nykavi
- Serves 4
Chicken legs and thighs
Green Chile, slit in half
Cilantro, roughly chopped
Canola oil for frying onions
Yukon Gold Potatoes
a large pinches
In This Recipe
- Remove chicken skins and trim fatty tissue. Wash and drain. Place chicken in a large bowl.
- Add yogurt, turmeric powder, chile powder, ginger and garlic paste, slit green chile, cilantro, juice of lime, cinnamon stick, cloves and kosher salt to the chicken
- Peel and thinly slice onions
- Heat 1/2 cup of oil in a frying pan. Add onions to heated oil and fry till golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Keep 1/2 cup of fried onions aside for garnishing biriyani. Crumble the rest into the chicken marinade
- Mix really well, cover and refrigerate for 8 hours, preferably overnight
- Let the chicken come to room temperature before you cook it
- Meanwhile peel and cube potatoes
- Heat oil in a kadhai or wok and deep fry potatoes till golden brown. They don't have to cook all the way through, just browned. Add them to chicken.
- Wash the rice till water runs clear, about 3 rinses and place in a large pan.
- Add in the water, kosher salt and ghee. Bring to a boil, cover and turn the flame very low and leave undisturbed for 14 minutes. Uncover and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Put chicken and potatoes in a deep ovenproof pot and place on a low flame. A Le creuset works really well. Cover with lid on and cook for 45 minutes or till chicken is cooked.
- Place saffron threads in a tablespoon. Hold the tablespoon over an open flame to let saffron crisp up for 15 seconds. Leave to cool
- Heat the milk in the microwave-safe bowl for 15 seconds.
- Crumble saffron into hot milk and let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes
- Spread rice over chicken
- Dribble saffron milk over the rice.
- Sprinkle set aside fried onions over rice
- Take some non-stick foil and cover the pot tightly. Replace the lid and place in oven for 15 minutes.
- Uncover lid and foil carefully.
- Serve biriyani with raita