- Serves 6
I adapted this recipe from my abosolute favorite blog: With Style & Grace (http://withstyleandgraceblog.com/). Mixing sweet with savory, this salad is easy, tasty and healthy and won't leave you still feeling hungry like your ordinary salad. My preference is to add meat but this recipe is originally vegetarian so you can always leave it out!
**This recipe is gluten-free, soy-free and dairy-free. It can be made vegetarian but leaving out the turkey sausage and using vegetable stock in place of chicken stock. —Andie
- Kale Mixture
unsweetened large flaked coconut
coconut aminos (gluten-free & soy-free replacement for soy sauce - can use soy sauce here)
- Lentil Quinoa Mixture
red split lentils
chicken stock or vegetable stock
red wine (I used merlot)
turkey sausage links sliced and halved
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Put about a tbsp of olive oil in the bottom of a medium sized pot. Add the quinoa and lentils. Stir to coat and let cook briefly. After a few minutes add the chicken stock, wine, a pinch of salt and pepper and stir. Let the liquid come to a rolling boil then reduce the heat to simmer and cover. Let cook until the liquid has been absorbed (this will take about 10-15 min) stirring occassionaly.
- While the quinoa and lentils are cooking begin working on the kale. Place the coconut, pistachios and kale in a large bowl. Whisk the olive oil, coconut aminos, sesame oil and agave together in a small bowl. Pour the mixutre over the kale and lighlty toss to cover.
- Spread out the kale out over the 2 baking sheets and place in the preheated oven. Let the kale bake for 12 or so minutes or until the kale gets crispy and browns slightly. Be careful here as you do not want your kale or coconut to burn.
- Once the quinoa and lentils have finished cooking remove from the heat and place in a bowl. Mix in the cranberries. Using a small saucepan and about 2 tsp of olive oil brown up the turkey sausage slightly. Add this to the lentil quinoa mixture and mix. Once the kale has browned slightly and is crispy remove from the oven.
- Now all that is left is to serve it up! You can keep the 2 items seperate or mix them together it is completely your choice! Now please enjoy!