If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: before we moved into my condo, as we were moving out of dw’s apartment he introduced me to a Trinidadian restaurant around the corner. i was pissed. because the food’s amazing and it’s within walking distance and he’d never taken me before. we haven’t been back in a long time, this is very similar to a trinidadian oxtail stew, it's adapted from a recipe i found from saveur.com.
call around to your local butchers or favorite grocer to see if they have fresh oxtail, grassfed being the best.
this is a fatty dish, have a salad on the side to cut through the richness. then run a mile or so.
the original dish calls for carrots, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce, ingredients we had every intention of adding in the last hour or so. but we forgot. we were busy watching the Following. —Lan | MoreStomach
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, for browning
- 3 pounds oxtails
- salt/pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste, best is homemade
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, rough chopped
- 1 rib celery
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups stock, best is homemade
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice berries
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 teaspoon generous of habanero paste
- season oxtails with salt & pepper in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, over medium high heat, heat up the oil and brown the oxtail to your heart’s content. go for a deep color. transfer to plate, ignore.
- into the pot add the tomato paste, ginger, onions and celery, saute until soft. add in the flour and stir until smooth. just make sure the flour’s all gone. add the oxtail in again, along with the stock, allspice, thyme and chiles. bring to a broil, then reduce heat to low, cook for about 3 hours. i may have let it go for 4 hours, until meat is tender and falling off the bone. check seasoning.
- serve atop wild rice. best the next day, or the following even