Author Notes: I've always been a fan of potato soup. Here is my version. —Jason
cup onion, finely diced
cups whole milk
cups potatoes, peeled, diced in 1/2-inch cubes
2 ounces of each of the following, shredded: Cheddar, Mozzarella, Colby Jack, Provolone, Parmesan
In This Recipe
- (All cooking is done on medium heat)
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crispy. Remove bacon to paper towel; leave grease in pan. Crumble bacon and save for later.
- Add butter to pan; deglaze, scraping all bits of bacon off bottom with a spatula.
- Add onions to butter/grease; cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until brown (caramelized)
- Remove onions. but leave grease.
- Add flour, cook 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add one cup of milk; deglaze.
- Add remaining milk, cooked onions, crumbled bacon, and salt. Stir.
- Add potatoes, stirring occasionally until potatoes are fork-tender, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Whisk soup to desired consistency (I like mine creamy).
- Add cheeses, and salt/pepper to taste.