If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of the things about cooking at home that I’ve come to really enjoy is making packaged or restaurant foods at home. It’s such an accomplishment to make something that may seem daunting at first, because it’s ‘processed’ and made by machines. In many cases, it’s much easier than you’d expect to make a version at home! This healthy recipe is a case-in-point. Sure, you could buy a package of frozen veggie burgers or order a black bean burger when you’re out, but why not try your hand at making them at home?
I made this recipe as the result of getting it handed down, but I would modify it the next time I make it. For instance, the burgers didn’t hold together well when flipping, so next time I’d add another egg and up to 1 cup more bread crumbs. Also, the burgers were very spicy, which I’m not a huge fan of, so next time I’d use Thai sweet chili sauce in place of the sriracha sauce. I’d also like to add bell pepper, for color and bite. —FirstTimeFoods
Makes: 12-15 burgers
medium onion, finely diced
cloves garlic, peeled and minced
(15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
(15 oz) can corn kernels
tablespoons chili powder
teaspoon taco seasoning (Trader Joe’s brand or homemade)
tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce or sriracha hot sauce
½ – 1
cups store-bought bread crumbs
cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- Dice 1 medium onion and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. Turned down heat and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Mince 5 cloves of garlic and add to the onions. Raise the heat to medium and cook for 1-2 minutes, then remove from the heat to cool.
- Drain and rinse 3 cans of black beans. Place the beans in a large bowl and mash with a fork until most of the whole beans are gone.
- Add in 1 (drained) can of corn, 2 eggs, and all the spices: 1 ½ tablespoons of chili powder, 1 ½ tablespoons of cumin, 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning, 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning, 3 tablespoons of sriracha hot sauce. Mix well until combined. Add in the bread crumbs, the cooled, sautéed onion and garlic, and the chopped cilantro. Mix again until fully combined, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Oil a baking sheet.
- With wet hands, form patties and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes on a side at 375* F.
- Serve on a bun with salsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream, or on a bed of greens with a side of grilled veggies.