Author Notes: Hibiscus, Ginger, and Orange in a Tasty Soda —HomemadeSodaExpert
Makes: 1 gallon
Invert Sugar Syrup
tablespoon Lemon Juice
Steeped Flavor Base
cup Dried Hibiscus Flowers
teaspoon Ground Ginger
Orange, zested and juiced
liters Seltzer Water or Club Soda
In This Recipe
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, lemon juice and 1 cup water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Using a candy thermometer, see that the mixture reaches 240°F.
- In a separate medium saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the hibiscus, orange zest and ginger.
- Cover and allow to steep for 30-40 minutes.
- Once the steeped flavor base has cooled, strain out the particulates and add the liquid and the orange juice to the invert sugar syrup. Mix well.
- Add 2 oz (1/4 cup) syrup to 6 oz (3/4 cup) carbonated water and mix gently for a finished soda.