Author Notes: This is a lighter update to one of my favorite family recipes, my Nanny’s Sausage & Egg Pie. To lighten it up a little, I’m using turkey sausage and have scrapped the piecrust. It’s a great way to use some of those hardboiled eggs sitting in the fridge. This new rendition proved to be a hit, even with the kids. —eat-drink-garden
hardboiled eggs, thinly sliced
pound turkey sausage, in casings
bottle of beer
ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- First, cook your sausage. Prick each sausage with a knife three times. Place in saucepan on medium-high heat and pour in the bottle of beer.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until beer evaporates, about 20 minutes. After sausage is cooked, slice into coins and about 1/4? thick.
- To prevent sticking, butter a 8 x 8 casserole. Layer sliced hard boiled eggs, sliced sausage and sliced mozzarella and continue to build about three layers.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk the raw eggs and Dijon with a fork. Pour over the layers and top with the Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.