Author Notes: A play on a traditional roux, this frosting is made with a flour & milk thickening. Once you make it, you'll never want to make another kind of buttercream. —Jennifer
Makes: 24 cupcakes
tablespoons Flour, sifted
cup Heavy cream
cups Superfine sugar, sifted
Vanilla or vanilla bean
cup Milk, full-fat
- Heat milk and heavy cream in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium head.
- Whisk in flour. Keep whisking vigorously until mixture is very thick. 5-10 minutes. Mixture should be a smoothe and lump-free paste.
- Cover pot loosely with plastic wrap and put in fridge for at lest 20 minutes, or until cooled.
- With an electric mixer (it is best to use a stand mixer if you have one) beat the margarine, butter, and sugar for 20 minutes on a medium-high speed. It's very important to cream this long.
- Add in milk & flour thickening. Beat the mixture on medium-high for another 15 minutes.
- Add in vanilla (I usually use about a tbs) and beat for another minute.