Author Notes: I developed this super quick and easy filling for our family's annual tamal-making explosion, and it has proved to to be useful for much more than that! My favorite is to top a fluffy masa cake with the chicken filling, and garnish with cotija, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime--especially if that masa cake is made with cheese enriched tamal batter grilled on a skillet--but also super topping a fresh, steamed corn tortilla. Use tiny torillas or good quality corn chips for appetizers.. —bonbonmarie
Makes: 2-3 cups filling
deboned/skinned roasted, whole chicken
tablespoons chipotle en adobo
tablespoon toasted cumin, finely ground
cup toasted pepitas, ground to a meal
tablespoons chicked roasting juices
salt to taste
- Chop/shred chicken into bite size pieces. I prefer the more organic look of torn/shredded meat.
- Chop chipotles super fine and smash with the blade of your knife to produce a smooth paste
- Combine chicken, chipotle, cumin, pepitas. Add roasting juices to acheive a moist but not loose filling. Salt to taste
- Serve as an appetizer atop small steamed corn tortillas, and garnish as you please. I like chopped cilantro, cotija cheese, avocado and a squeeze of lime.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken