If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I developed this super quick and easy filling for our family's annual tamal-making explosion, and it has proved to to be useful for much more than that! My favorite is to top a fluffy masa cake with the chicken filling, and garnish with cotija, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime--especially if that masa cake is made with cheese enriched tamal batter grilled on a skillet--but also super topping a fresh, steamed corn tortilla. Use tiny torillas or good quality corn chips for appetizers.. —bonbonmarie
Makes 2-3 cups filling
- 1/2 deboned/skinned roasted, whole chicken
- 2-3 tablespoons chipotle en adobo
- 1 tablespoon toasted cumin, finely ground
- 1/2 cup toasted pepitas, ground to a meal
- 2-3 tablespoons chicked roasting juices
- salt to taste
- Chop/shred chicken into bite size pieces. I prefer the more organic look of torn/shredded meat.
- Chop chipotles super fine and smash with the blade of your knife to produce a smooth paste
- Combine chicken, chipotle, cumin, pepitas. Add roasting juices to acheive a moist but not loose filling. Salt to taste
- Serve as an appetizer atop small steamed corn tortillas, and garnish as you please. I like chopped cilantro, cotija cheese, avocado and a squeeze of lime.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken