If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Smokey succulent roast chicken for a winter meal. Lagvulin Single malt makes this savory chicken a memorable dinner. Other single malts, oban, macallan, talisker, will do, but
lagvulin smokes! —Jo Goren
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken
- 6 cloves peeled garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Poultry Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 peeled carrots
- 3 Medium sized yukon gold potatoes, washed,peeled and halved
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- Wash and dry the chicken, remove the bag from the interior save the liver for another time and place the chicken and the neck in a 9 " x 12" roasting pan Rub the inside with 1 tsp. of salt and a garlic clove.Leave this garlic clove in the cavity
- Sprinkle the 2Tbsp of lagvulin single malt over the chicken , then rub the chicken exterior with the other tsp. of salt and the poultry seasoning.Put one sprig of rosemary in the cavity of the chicken and the other two in the pan. Spread the garlic cloves around with the potatoes. Surround the chicken with the potatoes , sprinkle with olive oil. cover with plastic and put in the refrigerator overnight.
- Next day about 1 1/2 hours before you would like to serve dinner, preheat the oven to 425 degrees farenheit . Uncover the chicken Sprinkle 2 TBSP of the lemon juice over the bird and put in the oven turned on it's side ( thigh up) .Roast for 18 minutes Then rotate bird so it is breast down, roast 18 minutes, then rotate so the other thigh is up , baste , roast another 18 minutes , baste and rotate so the breast is up, pour the last 2 TBSP of lemon juice on the breasts. Roast until the interior thigh temperature is 180 degrees. I usually roast 20 minutes per pound. Adjust accordingly if the oven is fast or slow or the chicken is heavier than 3 1/2 lbs.
- When done, remove from the oven, cover lightly with foil for 15 minutes, then bring to the table on a platter surrounded with the potatoes and carrots , carve and serve. If you like, pour the juices from the pan , strain and serve with the chicken.