If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a versatile russian pastry. You can make a big pie with it or small individual cakes. Play with fillings! For example, substitute 14oz berries + 1cup sugar for cottage cheese filling. —Tanya_O
For the pastry
- 9 ounces dry cottage cheese (12%)
- 3,5 ounces butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon milk
For the filling
- 18 ounces dry cottage cheese (12% or more)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons sugar (or more to taste)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350F).
- Combine the flour , baking soda, salt and sugar in a small bowl; mix well. Then combine the cottage cheese with melted butter, milk and egg in a big bowl; rub in the flour mixture. Lightly knead just until pastry holds together. Form a ball of pastry, wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To prepare filling, combine filling ingredients; mix well. The consistency should be thick not liquid.
- Halve pastry. Place the half on a large sheet of grease proof paper. Roll the pastry into a circle, until it is about 0,2 inch thick. Carefully transfer the paper with the pastry to a baking tray.
- Roll the other half of pastry on a sheet of grease proof paper.
- Spread the filling over the first half of pastry to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Carefully cover the filling with the other half of pastry (turn the sheet of paper upside-down). Pinch the edges to seal. Use a sharp knife to cut some holes to allow steam to escape. Brush the top lightly with egg yolk and 1 tablespoon milk.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the pie is golden brown.
- Place on a wire rack, cover the pie with a tea towel for 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.