- Serves 10-12
This is a versatile russian pastry. You can make a big pie with it or small individual cakes. Play with fillings! For example, substitute 14oz berries + 1cup sugar for cottage cheese filling. —Tanya_O
What You'll Need
- For the pastry
dry cottage cheese (12%)
1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon milk
- For the filling
dry cottage cheese (12% or more)
zest of 1 lemon
sugar (or more to taste)
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350F).
- Combine the flour , baking soda, salt and sugar in a small bowl; mix well. Then combine the cottage cheese with melted butter, milk and egg in a big bowl; rub in the flour mixture. Lightly knead just until pastry holds together. Form a ball of pastry, wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To prepare filling, combine filling ingredients; mix well. The consistency should be thick not liquid.
- Halve pastry. Place the half on a large sheet of grease proof paper. Roll the pastry into a circle, until it is about 0,2 inch thick. Carefully transfer the paper with the pastry to a baking tray.
- Roll the other half of pastry on a sheet of grease proof paper.
- Spread the filling over the first half of pastry to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Carefully cover the filling with the other half of pastry (turn the sheet of paper upside-down). Pinch the edges to seal. Use a sharp knife to cut some holes to allow steam to escape. Brush the top lightly with egg yolk and 1 tablespoon milk.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the pie is golden brown.
- Place on a wire rack, cover the pie with a tea towel for 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.