If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Floribbean Cuisine is a unique and wonderful fusion of Southern soul food blended with Caribbean spices. Fresh seafood is key, as most versions of this style can be found along the Florida coastline. —Chef_BZ
- 1 pound Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups Chicken (or Seafood) Stock
- 1 cup Grits
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 cups Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 6 Bacon Slices, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 2/3 cup Chopped Green Onions
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- Combine the brown sugar with your dry spices; allspice, paprika, cayenne, ginger, salt and pepper. I like to use a Ziploc bag to combine the spices and coat the shrimp, but a medium sized bowl works just fine. Make sure the shrimp is patted dry before shaking into the spice mixture, seal up the bag (or bowl) and refrigerate until needed.
- Using a medium saucepan, bring water and stock to a boil and add the onion powder, salt and pepper. Stir in the grits, cover and reduce heat to a low simmer. Stir the grits occasionally to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Stir in the butter and cheese when the consistency is thickened and keep at low heat.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat and add the bacon. Stirring occasionally, cook for 7-8 minutes until the bacon is firm but not crispy. Pour off the excess bacon grease and return the skillet to medium heat. Add the shrimp and toss for 5-6 minutes, until the shrimp is turning pink. Add the lemon juice, garlic clove, green onions, and cilantro, and stir together to combine. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Plate the grits onto plates or bowls, and top with the shrimp.