Author Notes: Some people's hearts are made of gold, or so they say. I'm 99% sure mine is made of chocolate...and that's as good as gold in my book.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, peanut free, tree nut free, wheat free, corn free, legume free, and vegan. —Kait Turshen
Serves: 2 dozen cookies [varies with cookie cutter size]
tablespoons warm water
tablespoon ground flaxseed
cup organic white sugar
tablespoons allergy friendly shortening
teaspoon vanilla extract
cups gluten free all-purpose flour
cup natural cocoa
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine ground flaxseed and water. Whisk well and set aside for 5 minutes. This will serve as your “egg” in the recipe.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shortening and sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add flaxseed mixture and vanilla; continue to beat until well combined. Gradually mix in flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to ¼ inch thick. Using a heart cookie cutter, or shape of choice, cut out cookies. Roll out scraps and repeat until all dough has been used.
- Transfer hearts to baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating. Decorate however your Valentine heart desires! I frosted mine in melted chocolate and finished off with fun sprinkles and a simple powdered sugar glaze.