If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Classic cupcakes that are gluten free, allergy friendly, AND vegan? Where do I sign?!
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, peanut free, tree nut free, corn free, legume free, and vegan. —Kait Turshen
Serves 1 dozen cupcakes
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup organic white sugar
- 1/2 cup allergy friendly shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup allergy friendly non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners or generously grease with allergy friendly oil; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine water and flaxseed. Whisk well and set aside for 5 minutes to allow mixture to thicken. This will serve as your “egg” in the recipe.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and shortening until well combined, approximately 2-3 minutes. If using an electric stand mixer, use the whisk attachment.
- Add flaxseed mixture and vanilla and continue to beat until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl with spatula as needed.
- Sift in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with milk and scraping sides of bowl as needed. If using an electric stand mixer, switch to the paddle attachment for this step. Batter should be smooth and slightly thick. Remember it is important not to over mix your batter.
- Fill prepared muffin cups about two-thirds full with batter; bake until tops are springy to the touch and cake tester comes out clean from centers of cupcakes, approximately 18-20 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in pans for 5 minutes. Turn out on a wire rack for remainder of cooling. Once cupcakes are completely cooled, frost with Classic "Buttercream" Frosting [recipe on www.bubblegirlbakes.com] and garnish with allergy friendly sprinkles or topping of choice.