Author Notes: a thirty something's ode to PBJ —phi tran
raw pistachio nuts
salt & spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, and/or cardamom works well)
orange extract oil (I used Simply Organic's)
pounds raw kumquats
whole star anise
- Make pistachio butter: process raw pistachio in your food processor, this will take at least 30 minutes.
- When the nuts start to clump together, they will not move around the machine, so you'll need to stop it and break it up using a wooden spoon. Repeat this until you get a buttery consistency you prefer.
- Once you've reached your desired texture, add spices and orange extracts. Salt to taste.
- Make your candied kumquats: halve the kumquats and bring them to a boil three times, changing the water each time to remove the bitterness.
- IF you are canning, Sanitize your glass vessels of choice by boiling them in hot water for 10 minutes. You should be able to make 5 half-pints with 3 pounds of fruit. Bonus: place 1 star anise and 1 cinnamon stick into each jar.
- Into each jars, divide your kumquats.
- Next, prepare your simple syrup. Scrape the beans from the vanilla pod and boil it with the water, sugar, cinnamon, and star anise pods for two minutes to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour the syrup into your jars, leaving 1/4” headspace. Seal and process* for at least 10 minutes.
- To make toasts: Spread a thin layer of pistachio onto each slice of bread and put enough kumquats on each slice so each bite has one half of the candied citrus. Enjoy. (I chose a spelt pain au levain with pear from Acme, SF)