If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was issued on the Italian magazine "Sale&pepe" October 2006. The best issue ever. When I moved from Italy to Canada it came with me, directly in my luggage. Among several amazing recipe this veal stew is my preferred one. The taste of the meat cooked with beer, pears and mustard is unique. It's strictly recommend to have a lot of bread with you, since this recipe will give you the pleasure to mop up your bread.
The original recipe supposes to use beef meat and dark beer. —Margherita
Serves 4 people
- 1 kg of quality stewing beef meat cut into 5cm pieces
- 80 grams butter
- 1 beer (330 ml)
- 2 onions
- 1 garnished bouquet (2/3 laurel leaves 3/2/3 parsley branches, 2/3 thyme branches)
- 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 pears
- In a pan brown the peeled and chopped onions with half of the butter, put the lid on and let them gently cook for approximately 15 minutes, paying attention to not burn them. If necessary add some drops of water
- Remove the onions from the pan and blend them; set aside.
- In an appropriately sized pan or a casserole pan add the rest of the butter and brown the meat;
- Add the blended onions, the beer, the garnished bouquet, the vinegar and the sugar; season and place a lid on the top and let the veal stew cook for about 1-1 ½ hours, or until the meet is tender. If necessary carefully add some warm water;
- During the meat cooking time peel and cut the peers in slices; add them to the veal stew 10-15 minutes before the end of the cooking time;
- When the veal stew is ready, throw the garnished bouquet out, add the mustard , stir and season generously with freshly grounded black pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mustard