If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had an apple tree in front of the house we were renting 4-5 year ago. That fall we had a bounty of apples. So I made apple sauce and still had apples left. My mother and MIL suggested make apple dal. The sweetness of apples really goes well with the pungent kick of mustard. —mandirab
- 1-2 green apples (slightly tart)
- 1 cup Pigeon pea (toor) dal
- 1 green chile
- pinch asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Peel and dice the apples into medium cubes and mix it with half the lemon juice. Set it aside for 10-15 mins. Cook the dal with some salt and a pinch of turmeric and 2 1/2 cups water on medium heat and covered for 10-15 min till it turns soft.
- Heat oil and temper it with asafoetida, and mustard seeds. Then add in the green chiles, and ginger. Cook for a minute.
- Add the turmeric, cumin powder and mustard powder. Then add in the apples and let it cook on simmer for 4-5 minutes. Then add in the cooked toor dal, 1 - 1 1/2 cup water and let it cook for another 4-5 till the apples turns soft but not mushy.
- Garnish with cilantro (optional) and add the rest of fresh lemon juice and serve warm with rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mustard