If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Macaroni and Cheese is one of my favorite things to eat. When I moved out to California in 2005, my mom sent me a recipe to use to make for a cookout. The original recipe only had one type of cheese, but being a connoisseur of cheese, I decided that just having one type in the recipe wasn’t enough. Over the years this recipe has evolved and been perfected into one of my favorites and I ALWAYS have requests for it! If you are a cheese lover like me, then this recipe will satisfy all of your cheesy taste buds. —Jen Bonoma
- 1 pound Orecchiette
- 6 tablespoons flour (white or wheat)
- 1 stick of butter
- 4 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 8 ounces block cabot pepper jack cheese cubed
- 8 ounces smoked gouda cheese sliced or cubed
- 8 ounces block of sharp white cheddar cheese cubed
- 4 ounces havarti cheese sliced or cubed
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Make a roux: Put about 1 cup of water in a small cooking pot. Place a frying pan on top of the pot (or use a double boiler) and put the stick of butter in the frying pan. Turn the burner on to a high temp. Once the water starts to boil, the hot steam will melt the butter. I use this method because it prevents the butter from burning, which is an easy to do. Once the butter is fully melted start adding the flour, 2 tbspns at a time. Each time you add the flour mix it in well with a whisk so that no lumps remain.
- With the flour incorporated and mixed to a paste like consistency, transfer the mixture to a larger pot at medium heat and add the milk 1 cup at a time while whisking so that the flour does not clump up. Once all the milk has been added, start adding the cheese. Stir mixture until all of the cheese has melted. Add salt and pepper (to taste). Preheat the over to 350°.
- Bring a separate pot of water to boil and cook macaroni for about 5 minutes (cook al dente as the pasta will continue to cook in the oven). Drain pasta and add it to the pot of cheese and stir to incorporate. Greese a Pyrex dish and pour pasta and cheese mixture into it. Take breadcrumbs and evenly sprinkle them over the top to lightly cover (you want the macaroni to be covered but don’t want to overpower it with too many crumbs). Sprinkle the shredded parmesan cheese over the top of the breadcrumbs. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes. Let it cool and enjoy!!