Author Notes: I have a great memory of one of my first few trips to New York. It was before I moved here, and if you didn't already guess, it involved eating. I'll never forget the experience of tasting a New York bagel for the first time. It was soft and chewy with a texture that defined perfection.
I ended up living just blocks from H&H and it became a weekend staple for me, just like many other New Yorkers. And then came that pesky wheat allergy and gluten intolerance. My bagel days were over, just like that. I had to change my route to work in order to avoid walking past the shop because the smell with the taste was torturous.
But now, years and years later, my bagel days are back on! This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, peanut free, tree nut free, corn free, legume free, and vegan. —Kait Turshen
cups warm water
tablespoons ground flaxseed
cups gluten free all-purpose flour
tablespoons organic white sugar
tablespoon quick-rise yeast
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
tablespoon apple cider vinegar
tablespoon maple syrup
- In a small mixing bowl, combine ½ cup of water and flaxseed. Whisk well and set aside for 5 minutes to allow mixture to thicken. This will serve as your “egg” in the recipe.
- While flaxseed "egg" is thickening, generously grease a donut pan with allergy friendly oil and set aside. In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, yeast, and salt; whisk well.
- In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, combine remaining 1 cup of warm water [approximately 110 degrees F], 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and vinegar with flaxseed mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, one cup at a time while mixing on medium-low speed. Once all dry ingredients have been incorporated, beat on medium-high speed for approximately 5 minutes. Dough should be pulling away from bowl and slightly sticky.
- Divide dough into 2-3 oz. balls and gently roll each ball into a cylinder; place each cylinder in the prepared donut pan, gently sealing the two ends with your fingers. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft-free area to rise for 35-40 minutes.
- While bagels are rising, preheat oven to 400 degrees and combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the maple syrup. Once bagels have risen, lightly brush with mixture and top with toppings of choice. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until edges of bagels turn golden brown.