If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I was living a single life, I used to make a savory French toast. The milk the bread soaks in was infused with saffron, and after the French toast was cooked it was topped with a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream and a spoonful of caviar. Very pretty and delicious, though people who like sweet French toast thought it was weird. The original recipe called for sour cream instead of whipped cream and spicy tomato chutney instead of caviar. You get the idea. —luvcookbooks
cup whole milk
teaspoon saffron threads
- Slice the baguette loaf into 1/2 inch thick slices. Should have 12-16 slices. Set aside to dry out a little so that the bread soaks up the egg and milk mixture. If you can do this the night before, so much the better.
- Warm the milk until tiny bubbles appear but a skin has not formed. Add the saffron threads and let them soak in the milk for 45 minutes. The milk will turn a beautiful orange-gold color.
- Add the eggs anda pinch of salt to the milk-saffron mixture, and beat to mix.
- Soak the bread slices in the milk-egg-saffron mixture. Fish out after thirty seconds.
- Melt 1 T. butter in a frying pan and fry the bread on medium heat until it is golden brown on both sides. Keep the finished slices warm in a 250 degree oven while you finish the rest. You can also warm plates for serving the toast in the oven.
- When all the slices are finished, arrange them on a serving platter. Serve with any savory accompaniment, like eggplant jam, unsweetened whipped cream, a pretty jar of caviar, lemony creme fraiche and chives- enjoy with a glass of sparkling white wine!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You're Most Proud Of
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast