Author Notes: Inspired by the goddess herself, this recipe is from none other than Julia Child. Obsessively watching her show as a child, I will always remember seeing her turn runny egg goop into a fluffy and divine omelette in just a few minutes.
Adding a few extra ingredients that bring a bit of brightness to the omelette, and cook quite quickly, this omelette can be made in under 6 minutes... depending on how good your wrist work is. —Charlotte Parler
tablespoon olive oil
tablespoons fresh cut parsley
cup diced mushrooms
teaspoon chili flakes
dash of salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- While your butter is melting, crack your eggs on a flat surface into a large mixing bowl.
- With a fork, pierce the yolks of each egg whisking them together with a vigorous back and forth movement for approximately 30 seconds. When you lift the mixture out of the bowl with your fork, the mixture should be even with no white separation.
- Your butter should be melted by now, increase the heat to medium. Put your whisked eggs into the pan. As soon as you see the eggs starting to curdle (less than 30 seconds), grip the handle of the pan and begin loosening the curds on the pan by shaking it back and forth. The bottom of the omelette should be sticking together.
- Tilt your pan from side to side so that the runny eggs from the middle go to the sides. Lay your pan flat again and begin shaking back and forth again. The eggs should be forming one large "curd" at this point, if you like your eggs runny, tilt the handle upwards so your pan moves away from you piling into one corner of pan. Roll the omelette onto itself flipping the pan over a large plate (you want the pretty side of the omelette showing). This entire process should take less than two minutes depending on how strong your stovetop is. If you like your eggs less runny, continue cooking for another 30 seconds.
- Once your omelette has been safely flipped onto a plate, your mushrooms and parley should be finished. Turn the heat off and add the chili flakes and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Spoon your mushroom mixture onto your omelette with some fresh parsley for garnish.