If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As wonderfully decadently delicious as a fried egg, american cheese & bacon sandwich on a kaiser roll is, I would not survive having one for breakfast everyday.
Both my husband and I are savory breakfast types, and we have been trying to spend less and eat better...picking up a bagel at Starbucks( me) or an Crosisan'wich (him) wasn't helping our waists or our wallets. We needed a solution...and this was it.
I make a dozen egg sandwiches at a time, wrap them tightly and individually and take one for each of us out of the freezer at night and by the time we get to work they are easily reheated in a toaster oven.
I find it less time consuming to bake the eggs, but you can also fry them if I had a griddle I would probably fry them over medium 6 at a time, but I don't, so I bake them with cream cheese which makes them creamy rather than rubbery.
This takes awhile, I reserve some time on Sunday afternoon to put it together, you can use other ingredients- I make 6 Ham & Cheese and 6 Kale & Cheese, but you could easily do both or neither - Mushrooms would work too, so would pre-cooked bacon (of any variety), sundried tomatoes would be good or sub spinach for the kale. I like the creamy blandness of muenster cheese but any cheese would do...cheddar, swiss and if you can afford the calories..brie. But I find these combinations tasty and energizing, there's enough fat to make it yummy but not so much as to weigh you down. And they definitely keep you satisfied until lunch, esp when eaten along side a piece of fruit.
I'd stay from Avocado since I don't like it reheated, but I have slipped a few fresh slices in after heating (esp the kale ones)-
You can easily make more of these at a time...especially if you have a bigger family or a bigger freezer. —Aliwaks
Makes 12 sandwiches
- 24 slices Ezekiel Sesame Bread
- 12 eggs or equivalent egg white
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 6 slices ham
- 3 cups shredded kale
- 12 slices muenster cheese or your favorite cheese
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoon sriracha
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and Toast bread slices till you desired level of toastedness (I use a sheet pan in the oven rather than toasting 4 at a time in the toaster)
- Prepare a baking dish with baking spray
- Whisk together eggs & cream cheese, season with salt & pepper
- Pour eggs into baking dish and bake till set ( about 15 minute or less depending on how deep the dish is)
- While eggs are baking..heat olive oil in a saute pan, add Kale season with Smoked Paprika & Salt & Pepper.. and let it wilt - about 5-6 minutes
- Mix sriracha into butter,
- Spread sriracha butter on toasts (about 1/2 T each)
- Divide baked eggs in to 12 equal size pieces
- Lay cheese on 12 slices of toast, place a mound of kale on 6, ham on the other 6
- Place a portion of egg on each & sandwich between 2 toasts
- Wrap tightly with Aluminum foil...freeze until ready to eat
- To reheat...thaw and place in toaster oven or oven 15 minutes remove foil & eat - you can unwrap & microwave but it won't be very delicious.