Author Notes: Ok this recipe comes with a warning: this is one of the easiest and cheapest things to make, and makes a LOT. So once you discover the glorious treat that is homemade Dulce de Leche, don’t say I didn’t warn you if you find a large batch in your fridge on a weekly basis! —boymeetsgirlmeetsfood
Makes: about 3 cups
cans of of sweetened, condensed milk, each 395 grams
vanilla bean pods
sea salt, to taste
- Start by preheating the oven to 220 C. Pour the two cans of condensed milk into a baking dish.
- Next add the vanilla bean paste, as well as a sprinkle of sea salt. Swirl the paste through the condensed milk, until it is blended through.
- Place the dish in a second, larger dish. Fill the large baking dish with water until it is halfway up the first, smaller dish.
- Cover the small dish with foil. Pop it into the oven for about 1 hour and 45 minutes, taking care to check on it at least once or twice in case the water needs to be refilled.
- Remove the dish from the oven when the caramel is a beautiful golden brown, and whisk the caramel quickly until it is smooth. And that’s it! Store in sterilized containers in the fridge, although I guarantee that it won’t be around for long! A rich, delicious treat that is equally amazing slathered over cookies or mixed through vanilla bean ice cream. Easily 1000000 x better than dulce de leche out of a can!