If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Egg on a Tortilla is perhaps one of the most fun things I make for myself in the mornings. I'm not sure why I find it so thrilling that I can fry an egg on a tortilla... maybe it's flipping it perfectly every time or slathering it with my favorite toppings. Whatever it is, it's fun, fast and super delicious! —Ashley Marie
- 1 egg
- 1 corn tortilla
- a little coconut oil
- 1 ounce queso fresca
- 2 tablespoons tomatillo, or other green, salsa
- 2 slices avocado, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- sliced cherry tomatoes, optional
- hot sauce, optional
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium to medium high heat. Add your coconut oil.
- Once hot, add your corn tortilla.
- Cook the tortilla for about a minute - until it begins to color - and flip it over.
- Crack your egg right over the tortilla.
- Use your spatula to move along the edges of the tortilla, making sure the egg isn't forcing anything to stick down.
- To know when to flip it, just watch the egg whites - they should begin to solidify at least slightly, if not completely. The yolk itself won't be cooked when you flip it.
- Carefully insert your spatula under the tortilla and flip it - along with the egg - over to the other side. I find it's easy if you hold the skillet with your left hand and the spatula with your right hand, tilting the pan as needed .
- Cook for a few minutes, depending on how done you like your egg. I usually cook mine 3-5 minutes. Occasionally run your spatula under and around the tortilla to prevent any sticking.
- Once you're ready, flip the egg-tortilla onto a plate and immediately sprinkle with the crumbled queso fresco.
- Mix together the tomatillo salsa, Greek yogurt, cilantro, salt and avocado. Serve alongside your egg on a tortilla.
- Top with optional sliced cherry tomatoes and / or hot sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe