If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had a friend growing up whose mother used to tell her, whenever things were a little less than perfect, to "just think of lemons." As angsty, jerky teenagers we found this advice more amusing than helpful. But now, as a marginally functional grown up, I'm finding that it actually works. While I do love a good "I'm not leaving the house at all" snow day, winter as a whole bums me out. It gets dark at 3:30 in the afternoon, the car is frozen shut every other morning and my toes are numb and frozen pretty much always. When Meyer lemon season starts things feel a little bit (metaphorically) warmer.
So when life gives you a seemingly endless frozen tundra,
think of lemons.
And when life gives you lemons, make muffins. —Slow Club Cookery
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup organic sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups halved fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup raw walnut pieces (optional)
- 2 teaspoons grated meyer lemon zest
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup meyer lemon juice
- 1/4 cup canola or other neutral oil
- 2 teaspoons extra sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Line muffin tin with paper liners. Measure out 1 1/2c of cranberries, cut each in half, toss in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1/3c of the sugar, whisk to combine. Add the remaining 1/3c of sugar and 2 tbsp of the dry flour mix to the cranberries and toss gently until cranberries are well coated.
- Stir in 1 1/2tsp of the lemon zest.Add non-dairy milk, lemon juice, vinegar, oil and vanilla extract to flour mix. Stir until well combined. Add in walnut pieces.
- GENTLY fold cranberries into wet mix. If using fresh, be more aggressive, but the frozen will bleed.
- Fill muffin liners 2/3 full and shake pan gently to distribute. Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with a pinch of sugar and reserved 1/2tsp lemon zest.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until tops are light golden brown and tester inserted into the center comes out clean.