If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The first time I tasted a churro, I was in Los Angeles with a friend and we stopped at a street cart selling Mexican food. The churros were amazing: sweet and sticky, crunchy outside and chewy inside. I had two orders and I made my friend take me to the same cart every day for the rest of my time there.
The churros are made of a basic light pastry dough, a.k.a. choux pastry. The dough is pretty hearty and sticky, yet forgiving and easy to work with. Dabbing a little bit of vegetable oil on your fingers and utensils will make handling it a breeze.
Excerpted from SWEET PAUL, © 2014 by Paul Lowe Einlyng. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved. —SweetPaul
Makes eighteen 4-inch churros
tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
tablespoons granulated sugar
cup unbleached all-purpose flour
cup confectioner's sugar
teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water, 2 tablespoons oil, granulated sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Stir in the flour rapidly, until the mixture forms a ball. Transfer to a food processor, add the egg, and process until smooth.
- Put enough oil in a deep fryer or a large saucepan to reach a depth of 1 inch. Heat until a piece of dough dropped into the oil turns golden after 30 seconds (375° to 400º F on a deep-fat thermometer).
- Meanwhile, place the dough in a plastic piping bag or a ziplock bag with a corner snipped off and pipe 4-inch “sausages” of dough onto the baking sheet.
- Gently transfer the dough to the oil in batches using a large spatula or slotted spoon. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. With a small sifter, sift the sugar mixture over the warm churros.
- Serve warm.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!