Here’s what I have for breakfast most mornings. Oats, other cereals, toast, etc., all make me sleepy, right when I most need to be alert. This chocolate-y protein-rich breakfast provides the perfect alternative. It only takes a few minutes to pull together and hey, chocolate makes any breakfast a whole lot better. I often reserve and mix a few tablespoons of this with almond milk and chia seeds at the same time, for my elevenses. Enjoy!! ;o) —AntoniaJames
- Makes 1 shake
1 fairly ripe banana, preferably cold
2 tablespoons plain hemp powder (available in bulk at Whole Foods, or from Bob’s Red Mill)
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
2-3 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder (not alkalized “Dutch process”), to taste -- use more if your banana is very ripe
1 heaping tablespoon almond butter (or peanut butter, salted or unsalted)
½ cup almond milk (or more to taste), ideally, homemade
Maple syrup to taste (only if necessary. I don’t use it, but I can see how others might want some.)
- Cut the banana lengthwise and then crosswise into ½” pieces. Put the pieces in whatever container works best for using with your immersion blender, which really is the best tool for this; otherwise put them in a blender.
- Top with the hemp powder, flaxseed, cocoa powder and almond or peanut butter. Give the glass a light shake to distribute the dry ingredients over the banana bits. Cover with about ½ cup cold filtered water. Give it a good stir.
- Blend thoroughly with an immersion blender. Stir in the almond milk and maple syrup to taste, if using. If you want the shake a little thinner, add more almond milk or water.
- Enjoy!! ;o)
- (And then make sure you brush your teeth.)
- Variations: Substitute for the banana a large handful of fresh seasonal strawberries, coarsely chopped, or a heaping cup of seasonal blueberries. Yes, blueberries + chocolate sounds and looks weird, especially with the dark green hemp powder, but it tastes great, while providing an outrageously healthful breakfast (or lunch, or snack). Almond butter (vs. peanut butter) works best with berries. A drop or two of homemade or really great quality vanilla extract makes the berry version of this even better.