Author Notes: Chickpea flour is mixed with simple ingredients (water, oil, salt), broiled in a hot oven for several minutes, then devoured while still hot with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. A delicacy in the shape of a humble pancake! —Tasty Plan
Makes: 2 12 inch pancakes
cup chickpea flour
teaspoon sea salt
teaspoon cumin powder
tablespoons olive oil
handful chopped fennel fronds
tablespoon vegetable oil, for greasing pan
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a clean bowl combine chickpea flower, salt, cumin and fennel fronds. Add water and olive oil. Mix until smooth.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Place a large skillet into the oven once it reaches desired temperature. Heat for five minutes, then remove and pour about half a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Slowly pour half of the batter into the skillet, swirling it around so that it evenly distributes across the skillet. You should have about a 1/8 of a inch deep pancake.
- Place pan back into the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes, more if needed. The edges will start to turn brown, and if your oven is hot enough the Farinata will blister slightly.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil and devour while still hot!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas