If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There is a constant argument in my house about serving red sauce with any pasta meal. While I like red sauce, I like variety more- so I end up experimenting with different kinds of sauces or sometimes no sauce at all. My husband is not too happy when the pasta is served without a sauce.
This dish is a compromise since it has the red and white sauce. I had the leftover meatballs from the previous day and I felt quite adventurous. I sliced the meatballs and sauteed them in a little oil and kept them aside. I wanted to make a lasagna with the left over marinara sauce in the fridge. I didn’t have any ricotta cheese- I decided to substitute a bechamel sauce instead. To give the sauce a little body and texture, I sauteed some onions before adding the all purpose flour and creamy fontina cheese. Fontina cheese is a must ingredient in my fridge. It is mild and nutty and melts really well on anything.
I layered the no-cook lasagna noodles (another ingredient found in my pantry) with the two sauces and the meatballs. I topped it all with some shredded cheese and stuck it in the oven. I was very excited to taste this experiment. I was hoping my daughter and husband will feel the same excitement when they taste it- and they did. They both loved it! I was extremely happy and very proud of myself.
It is easy to come up with ideas for left overs if your pantry and fridge are well-stocked. With lasagnas, sky is the limit- you can add as much or as little- as long as the ingredients are good and fresh.
I served it with a salad and a Merlot.
Serves 4 people
- 4 to 5 meatballs, sliced thin and sautéed in 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup fontina cheese, shredded
- 2 cups homemade marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese (any kind) for the top
- 6 sheets of no-cook lasagna noodles
- 1 8X8 square pan
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a wide frying pan, heat the olive oil and add the onion. Saute the onions on medium heat for 5-6 minutes or till they are translucent and soft. Add the flour and cook for a minute. Slowly add the milk whisking constantly. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir till it thickens. Add the cheese and salt and turn the heat off. Mix well and keep aside.
- Add a quarter cup of white sauce at the bottom of the pan and place two lasagna noodles on top. Spread half cup of white sauce. Sprinkle half of the meatballs on top and cover with half cup of marinara sauce. Repeat process with the second set of noodles. Top the lasagna with the last 2 noodles and cover with one cup of the remaining marinara sauce. Sprinkle one cup shredded cheese on top and cover with aluminum foil. Cook for 45 minutes and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Baked Pasta