When I was little, Pocky Sticks were my staple afternoon snack. Pocky Sticks are an immensely popular snack cookie in Japan which sort of taste like long, chocolate-coated animal crackers. My mom would always buy them for me at the local Japanese grocery store, and I'd gobble them up in the back seat of her car after school. They're unbelievably fun to eat. Not only do they make that addictive "snap" sound (think pretzel sticks) when bitten into, but I always had a blast using them as "walrus tusks." Don't judge. I recreated this childhood favorite by upgrading the traditional chocolate coating to both Nutella and Biscoff spread coatings -- making them even better than the original Pocky Stick (if that's even possible). —Erica Barry
- Serves 32
- Cookie Sticks
sweetened condensed milk
- Nutella coating
- To make the cookies, beat all of the cookie ingredients except for the egg white together in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until a dough forms around the paddle. If the dough is too stiff, add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Transfer dough to a piece of plastic wrap, pat into a disk, and wrap tightly in plastic. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 300 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Divide the dough into 32 balls (divide into quarters three times).
- Roll each ball into a thin stick, about 5-6 inches long.
- Transfer each stick to the parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with egg white.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the sticks are golden brown. Cool completely.
- To make the coating: Melt the candy melts either in the microwave or a double boiler. Once the candy melts are melted, stir in the Nutella (you can substitute Biscoff for a different flavor!). Pour this mixture into a tall glass.
- Once the cookies are cool, dip each cookie stick into the candy melt/Nutella mixture and decorate with sprinkles. If the candy melt mixture is no longer smooth, add a drop of vegetable oil to the mixture until it is a good dipping consistency.
- Repeat with the remaining cookie sticks. Refrigerate coated cookie sticks until just before serving. Enjoy!