If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I know spring has officially sprung across most of the country, but in case you want one more cozy soup recipe, here it is. I bravely made my own pierogies for this recipe, but God bless you if you chose to make your own. That was tough work. Next time I'll call up Mrs. T. —Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Makes 1 large pot
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 6 cloves garlic (smashed)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pound chicken breast (cubed)
- 10-12 small to medium pierogies (frozen or fresh, any stuffing)
- 10 Brussels sprouts (shaved w/ a mandolin)
- 8 cups chicken broth (low sodium or homemade)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon smoky paprika
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Greek yogurt or sour cream for serving
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken cubes, salt and pepper and brown up on all sides until cooked through. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Lower heat to medium and drizzle in some more olive oil. Add onion, paprika, salt and pepper. Let onions soften for 5 minutes. Add smashed garlic and tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes. Add flour, mix to create a thick paste and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add all broth and water and whisk to make sure flour is incorporated without clumps. Add salt and pepper. Turn up heat and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and add chicken and pierogies. Let simmer until pierogies are cooked and float to the top. When they float, add the shaved Brussels sprouts and cook for 2 minutes until soft. *Note: If you don't have a mandolin to shave the Brussels sprouts, just slice them up as thin as you can.
- Turn off heat and serve with a scoop of Greek yogurt or sour cream.