If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pestos can be prepared in a variety of ways using different kinds of nuts like macadamia, pine nuts, pecans, and even almonds. For vegans and those with nut allergies, you can substitute the nuts and cheese with chick peas and add Italian parsley. My recipe for walnut pesto is easy, healthy, and delicious on pastas, grilled meats, salads, sandwiches or omelets. I love to add pesto to my breakfast sandwiches. I've included the recipe for my Green Eggs breakfast sandwich as well. Store the pesto in an air tight glass or hard plastic container. You can also freeze the pesto up to 3 months. —Gaia Goodness Natural Foods
Makes 2 cups
You'll need fresh basil, parmesan cheese, walnuts, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1 cup grated parmigiano reggiano (Parmesan cheese)
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
- 1/2 olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place all dry ingredients in a food processor or a blender and pulse to break down Basil leaves.
- Slowly poor in olive oil through the feed hole of the processor.
- If using a blender, stop the blender and then add half the olive oil and blend.
- Keep adding the oil until the pesto is a smooth consistency. Add lemon juice to taste.
For the breakfast sandwich you'll need eggs, Swiss or Provolone cheese, walnut pesto, green tomatoes, whole grain bread, salt and pepper. This recipe makes 1 sandwich. Simply double the ingredients for more sandwiches.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup walnut pesto
- 1 teaspoon sour cream or Greek yougurt
- 1 slice Swiss or Provolone cheese
- 2 slices green tomatoes
- 2 slices whole grain bread toasted
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Whisk eggs and sour cream in a bowl.
- Heat 1 tsp of butter or olive oil in a skillet over medium flame.
- Pour in eggs and cook for about 10 seconds then flip with a spatula.
- When eggs are cooked, add cheese slice and turn off flame.
- In the mean time, toast and butter your bread.
- To assemble your sandwich, add the green tomato first, then egg and cheese and top it with the pesto and the other toast slice. Enjoy!!