Author Notes: Ethiopian Split Pea Stew - A simple, inexpensive stew .. full of onions, garlic, and split peas. It’s mild as well as savory .. creamy yet not oily .. a wonderful diversion from the spiciness that typically accompanies Ethiopian cuisine —VeggiesByCandlelight
large purple onions
cup olive oil
(16 oz) bag yellow split peas
Fresh minced garlic to taste
Salt to taste
- In large, heavy pot, cover peas with 3” water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook till tender, about 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree the onions in a food processor or blender. Cook the puree in heavy pot until they're tender and just turning brown (note: they will be dry).
- Add the olive oil, tumeric and salt, stirring to combine.
- Add the cooked split peas (water included) to the onion mixture, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the consistency is similar to pea soup.
- Stir in garlic and serve with injera