Author Notes: Melt in your mouth good. These cookies are tender & cake-like .. a crusty crunch on the outside .. the coconut flour, oil, & milk keeping them moist on the inside
~ Adapted from iVillage —VeggiesByCandlelight
cups barley flour
cup coconut flour
teaspoon kosher salt or fine sea salt
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon baking powder
cup organic brown sugar
cups coconut milk
teaspoons pure vanilla extract paste
ounces butter (** or coconut oil, melted but not hot)
cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Crack the eggs into the bowl of a standing mixer. Mix on low-speed for 20-30 seconds, until the eggs are broken up. Add the sugars, increase the mixer speed to high, and mix 3 minutes or so .. until the dough is the color of milky coffee
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the egg/sugar mixture & mix on low-speed until they are combined.
- Add the butter and mix.
- Add the coconut milk & vanilla .. mix until combined.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of shredded coconut, using a large spoon to mix it in by hand. (Make sure to scrape down to the bottom of the bowl) ** At this point I refrigerate the dough for 72 hours .. though you can easily bake them right away.
- Measure the remaining 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut into a shallow bowl. Scoop balls of dough (about 3 tablespoons in size) and dip them into the coconut. Place them on the prepared baking sheets, coconut side up, leaving about 2 inches between them
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until the coconut crust is lightly toasted and the bottoms of the cookies are evenly brown.