If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Mothers know best…Most of the time. Regardless of all the ups and downs, ins and outs, they still deserve the best. If there's one thing every mother should know about this Mother's day, it's these cupcakes. These velvet smooth beetroot darlings are the perfect way to tell someone you love them. Move aside gardening gloves I have a small piece of my heart, baked to perfection and cupped in my hand, just for you.
Do not be fooled, these are no vegetable cupcakes, however the beetroot does lend a robust sweetness that is only outshone by it's rosebud colour. Completely free of sugar, gluten and dairy, you can enjoy these moist treats snuggled up in bed with the one you call mum. —Sandra Ramacher
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Coconut Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 250 grams Almond Meal
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 cup Raisins Chopped
- 1 cup Grated Beetroot
- Heat oven to 160°C/320°F and line a large six-hole muffin tin with waxed baking cups.
- Combine the eggs with the coconut butter and vanilla essence and mix until frothy.
- Mix the almond meal with the baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger and then combine with the egg mixing well.
- Then fold under the chopped raisins and beetroot.
- Fill the muffin baking tray with the mixture and bake for 30-40 minutes. The muffins will be ready when the tops feel firm.
- Set aside and let cool before icing.
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Essence
- 2 tablespoons Beetroot Juice
- 1 cup Cacao Butter (chopped)
- Place a heatproof bowl over the top of a pot containing a little water. Heat until boiling and then turn down to simmer.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the lemon juice, honey, vanilla essence and beetroot juice until it starts to thicken then add the cacao butter a little at a time.
- It will take about 5 minutes for the whole of the cacao butter to be dissolved with the egg mixture and it will thicken quite a bit.
- Then let the icing cool to room temperature before applying to the tops of the cooled muffins.