If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is less of a recipe and more of a method... feel empowered to adapt it to make however many black beans you want (the more the merrier in my book), and adjust the seasonings to your liking! Serve alongside anything mexican-y, or make a bowl out of it with avocado, cilantro and lime juice (as pictured). —Holly Stephenson | Feast or Fallow
Makes yields a big pot of beans, roughly 7 cups.
- 1 pound dry black beans (about two cups)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 5-6 cups water
- Quite simply, add all your ingredients to a slow cooker. Pour in enough water to cover the beans by an inch or so, and give it a stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-5 hours.
- Add more water, 1 cup at a time, if the beans dry out. The beans are done when there is no resistance to their bite.