Author Notes: The Aglio Et Olio (garlic and olive oil) sauce is what takes the toasted walnuts and mushrooms to another level. The peas add a sweetness to the earthy flavor of this dish. It's simple yet sophisticated. —Veganosity
pound Pasta - any shape will do
cup olive oil
tablespoon olive oil
cloves of garlic - minced
cups toasted walnuts
- Fill a pasta pot ¾ of the way full, add the 3 tablespoons of salt, and bring to a boil. Add the pasta to the water and stir once so it doesn’t stick together. Cook according to the directions on the package.
- Preheat the oven to 385° and roast the walnuts until they begin to look slightly brown and they are crisp. Approximately 4 minutes. Keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn.
- Wash the mushrooms and pat dry with a paper towel. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saute pan. When the oil is hot add the mushrooms – top side down- and brown. Approx. 3 minutes. Turn and cook for 3 more minutes or until they are spongy to the touch. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Steam the peas in water until firm, but not mushy. They should be al dente.
- In a small saucepan heat the ½ cup of olive oil. When it’s hot add the garlic and lower the heat to a low simmer. Stir the garlic until it begins to turn golden. Remove from the heat.
- Drain the pasta and place it in a large bowl. Add the peas, mushrooms, and walnuts. Add the oil and garlic and combine well.