Author Notes: A Middle Eastern egg dish flavoured with sumac and sesame seeds. Derived from the cookbook 'Traditional Arabic Cooking'. —Dhanya Samuel
tablespoons vegetable oil
tablespoons sesame seeds
In This Recipe
- 1.Hard boil the eggs, remove shell and cut into halves. Season lightly with salt.
- 2.Dry roast the sesame seeds till light golden; make sure not to burn.
- 3.Coarsely grind the sumac and sesame seeds in a mortar and pestle and keep aside.
- 4.In a flat pan, heat oil (on medium heat) and place the eggs yolk side down. A bit of splutter is expected. (You can fry the eggs whole too without cutting into halves but ensure that you prick a couple of holes with a fork to avoid the eggs from exploding.)
- 5.After a minute or two, turn the eggs over and fry another minute. Remove from flame.
- 6.Roll or dust the eggs with the sumac-sesame seed blend. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves just before serving.