If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an even more decadent version of my usual banana bread recipe, which involves lots of overripe bananas--the riper and blacker, the better. (Seriously. They can't be too ripe.) Add a boatload of cocoa powder and some chopped dark chocolate, and you have a serious indulgence. —ieatthepeach
Makes one 9x5 loaf
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup natural (unsweetened) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 extremely ripe bananas, peeled
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or light olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (3.5 oz) dark chocolate bar, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease and flour a 9×5 loaf pan, or line the pan with parchment paper. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Place bananas in a large mixing bowl, and use a potato masher or fork to mash into a chunky paste. Add honey or maple syrup, oil, egg, and vanilla, and mix until combined but still chunky. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined–a few streaks of flour are fine. Fold in chopped chocolate.
- Transfer batter to the prepared loaf pan, and even out the top. Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and transfer pan to a cooling rack. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto the rack to finish cooling. Slice and serve just warm or at room temperature.
- To store leftover banana bread, wrap the loaf or individual slices in a layer of plastic wrap, then in aluminum foil. Wrapped this way, the bread will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Festive, Crowd-Feeding Breakfast