Author Notes: Nothing is better than a simple pasta salad at a picnic, and this one definitely hits the spot. This recipe calls for turkey bacon and brown butter, but other options include skipping the brown butter and using olive oil instead or using real bacon and swapping out the brown butter for a tablespoon of bacon grease. —Shelley
ounces mezzi rigatoni pasta
heads brussel sprouts, thinly sliced
slices turkey bacon
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water. Drain, rinse with ice-cold water, and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange sliced brussel sprouts and turkey bacon onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 10-15min, until bacon is crisp and brussel sprouts are browned.
- In a heavy-bottom skillet, melt butter on medium low heat. Stir continuously as butter begins to foam. As foam clears up and brown specks begin to form, add minced garlic. Continue stirring until butter has browned thoroughly and garlic is aromatic.
- Toss refrigerated pasta with browned butter, brussel sprouts, turkey bacon, and red pepper flakes thoroughly. Stir in ricotta and add salt/pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe