If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sorghum is a dense, chewy, mildly sweet, gluten-free grain that is growing in popularity. It is a cousin to corn and tastes like a cross between corn and barley. With the addition of bell pepper and lime juice, this salad is bright, hearty, and as easy to make as a pasta salad. —Tami Ganeles Weiser
- ½ cups dry sorghum
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock, low-sodium preferred
- 1 ½ cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup finely diced orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- To make the sorghum, thoroughly rinse it with water, and then add it to a medium saucepan. Cover with the stock and simmer over moderately low heat for 45 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the sorghum is al dente. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the drained sorghum and the black beans. Add the bell pepper, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, and cumin and stir to combine. Cool to room temperature. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe