If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a tried-and-true banana bread recipe that has a bit of added zing with crystallized ginger and an indulgent feel with plenty of chocolate. It's a perfect potluck recipe, since you have one loaf to take with you and one loaf to leave at home to be devoured later! —Sarah
Makes 2 loaves or 1 loaf and 1 dozen muffins
- 2 1/2 cups mashed banana (approx. 6 bananas)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (or canola or sunflower)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil 2 loaf pans (or 1 muffin pan and 1 loaf pan).
- Mix together bananas, eggs, sugars, oil, and molasses in a medium bowl, beating well.
- In a separate large bowl, combine cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and flours.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in banana mixture. Stir together.
- Fold in chocolate and ginger.
- Spoon batter into pans. If you’re using a muffin tin, fill only 3/4 full (these muffins puff up quite a bit!).
- Bake for 45 min. (or 15 min. for muffins), or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in the pan for a few minutes, then remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe