Author Notes: It’s quick to make and easy to transport: Baked eggs in Toast Nests. A delicious and basic snack that can be eaten cold, perfect for the picnic, whether in the woods or at the beach.
All you need is a muffin pan, eggs, slices of soft toast bread, a small amount of butter, salt and pepper.
Alternatively, you can cover each egg with a slice of cheese, sprinkle it with smoked paprika and let it bubble in the oven. But as I don’t like melted cheese that has turned cold, here is the picnic version.
For the easier transport, let the nests inside the muffins pan.
For gluten-free, omit the bread slices and crack the eggs directly in the buttered muffins cups.
slices toast bread, preferably without crust
Salt and freshly grounded black pepper
- .Preheat oven at 200 C (392 F)
- Slightly butter four muffin cups and the toast bread slices.
- Press carefully the bread slices into the muffin cups, buttered side up.
- Crack an egg into each bread-nest.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Put the pan in the oven, second level from bottom.
- Bake for 10 minutes that is until bread corners golden and eggs solid.
- Remove the pan from oven and when cold, take the egg nests out with a non-sharp knife.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe