If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I’m trying to get my kids more involved with dinner prep, primarily to peak their interest in food. And what better place to start than a quick & easy pizza? Here is a basic recipe that your kids could help prepare and you wouldn’t mind digging into either. It sports an all-natural premade crust and a delish homemade sauce, starting with a rich base of garlic, tomato paste, and oregano, and simmered low and slow with San Marzano tomatoes. Because if kids love anything about pizza, it’s a good sauce covered in cheese. Enjoy in two varieties – mozzarella & basil; and mozzarella & pepperoni. —Feed Me Dearly
For the pizza sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 15 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Black pepper
For the pizza
- 2 12-inch prepared pizza crusts (such as Rustic Crust)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups pizza sauce, divided
- 1 large ball of fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 4 ounces thin-sliced pepperoni
- For the sauce: Heat oil in a medium saucepan on med-high heat. When oil is warm, add the garlic and sauté, stirring frequently until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste, and sauté for another minute.
- Add the cans of tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes along with the salt, sugar, oregano and a few grinds of black pepper. Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer for an hour to allow the sauce to concentrate and the flavors to marry.
- For the pizzas: Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Place pizza crusts on individual baking sheets.
- When your sauce is done, brush 2 tablespoons of olive oil on each crust. Next add 1.5 cups of sauce to each crust.
- On Pizza #1, add the sliced fresh mozzarella and scatter the basil leaves.
- On Pizza #2, add the shredded mozzarella, and top with the pepperoni. This makes a very cheesy pizza– if you’re not a fan of lots of cheese, you can easily get away with less.
- Turn your oven down to 425 degrees and pop both pizzas in the oven. Bake for 8-12 minutes until the cheese is bubbly.