Author Notes: Only the most perfect of summer desserts, a classic strawberry shortcake!
1. This recipe works very well with gluten free baking mix in place of the flour!
2. Look for the ripest strawberries you can find, this recipe, unlike many other Strawberry Shortcake recipes, does not call for macerating the berries in sugar. I prefer to just let the natural sweetness of the berries shine. However, if you do end up with a batch of berries that isn't as sweet: let the sliced berries sit in a bowl with 1-2 tablespoons of sugar (mix well!) after slicing. —Chelle
Makes: 1 8in cake
cups all purpose flour or GF baking mix
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon kosher salt
cup vegetable shortening
16 oz. container of strawberries
ounces heavy whipping cream
teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425*. Grease one 8" round pan. In a large mixing bowl add sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a fork mix together by hand to ensure that baking powder is evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Add the shortening, egg, and milk to the mixing bowl. Use the fork to mix everything together and blend in the shortening. Stop mixing as soon as the ingredients are fully mixed together. Over-mixing will yield a hard cake. A dryer, course dough will form.
- Place the dough in the baking round and using a rubber spatula or fork spread the dough out evenly along the bottom of the pan. Bake at 425* for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan until the bottom of the pan is comfortable to touch. Gently run a knife between the outer edge of the pan and the cake to loosen if necessary. Remove the cake from the pan and allow to cool completely before topping.
- Wash and slice the strawberries into bite sized pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, add heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. Using either an electric hand mixer or wire whisk, whip the cream and other ingredients until whipped cream is formed. Look for stiff peaks.
- To assemble cover the top of the short cake with a thick layer of whipped cream using a rubber spatula. Top the whipped cream with the strawberries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.