If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Mexican style beans with peppers and spinach through a delicious tomato sauce. Topped with baked eggs and crumbled feta, with a fresh avocado salsa on the side. Perfect for Sunday! —Flossie
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 400g tin of plum tomatoes, whizzed till smooth
- 4 handfuls spinach
- 1 tin kidney beans rinsed
- 75 grams feta, cubed
- 4 free range eggs
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/2 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- Preheat your oven to 180?C.
- Put a big heavy pan on a medium heat and melt the coconut oil and gently fry the onions for about 8 mins until soft.
- Add the spices and garlic and cook off for about 2 mins, stirring so they don't catch. Add the tomato sauce and the peppers and leave to simmer for 15 mins, add couple of glugs of water to the mix so it doesn't dry out during cooking.
- Add the kidney beans to the sauce along with the spinach and simmer for about 5 mins until its all bubbly and hot, check seasoning.
- Pour the mix into an oven dish and sprinkle the feta over the top. With a spoon make 4 dips in the mix to crack the eggs into. Sprinkle on a bit of salt and pepper onto the eggs and bake in the oven for about 10-15 mins until the eggs are cooked but the yolk is still runny. I just check lots so I don’t over cook them, they will carry on cooking a bit once out so best to be a bit under if you like your yolk runny.
- While the beans are in the oven make the avocado salsa, chop the avocado up into a bowl, add the chilli, coriander, lime juice and sliced spring onion and stir away. Avocado needs quite a bit of salt so season it up and give a good crunch of black pepper.
- When the eggs are cooked, sprinkle over some paprika and serve hot with the salsa on the side.