If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Curry leaf is one of the great flavors of Indian food and bunches of fresh leaves from Hawai'i, California and Florida seem to be showing up more and more reliably in Asian markets. The flavor works beautifully in mayonnaise and both potato and chicken salads are terrific with curry leaf mayo. So is pretty much everything else made with the regular stuff. —Storage Studies
Makes 2 cups
For the infused oil
- 2 cups Safflower oil
- 8 sprigs Curry leaf
For the mayonnaise
- 2 cups Infused oil
- 1 pinch Salt
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons Ice water
- Start with a wide mouth thermos. Fill it with safflower oil and the pour that oil into a saucepan.
- Strip the curry leaves from their stalks, pat dry in paper towel, and place in empty thermos. Place open thermos in sink.
- Heat the oil and use a thermometer to check temperature. At somewhere between 200 and 250 degrees pour oil into thermos. You will want to fill the thermos as fully as possible while still allowing to top to screw on because as the oil cools it will form a low-pressure air pocket in the thermos. Too low a pressure and you may not be able to open the cool thermos. This is not a huge problem but it's something to be aware of. (Not completely closing the thermos is another solution. Of course that allows the oil to cool faster. This a forgiving recipe and everything should turn out fine.)
- Let the oil infuse for at least three hours.
- To make the mayonnaise, first strain the infused oil.
- Add all other ingredients to a food processor. Insert a steel blade.
- Turn on food processor. Slowly add one cup of the curry leaf oil to the mixture, pausing to scrape the sides and inside lid as necessary. After the first cup of oil you can either continue to add oil or else refrigerate the oil to make another batch later.
- Transfer mayonnaise to a clean container and refrigerate.